A drug lawyer Fairfax VA residents turn to during one of the most challenging times in their life can be invaluable when the police want to question you further. Knowing your rights can help prevent you from making mistakes that can be very damaging to your case.
Anyone in Virginia who has been accused of a serious drug crime probably has concerns about defending themselves from such charges. Given that conviction of a Fairfax, VA drug charge results in serious consequences, you need to understand the importance of hiring a skilled criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible.
What Is an Illegal Search and Seizure?
A law enforcement officer or agent can violate a person’s constitutional rights that are guaranteed to them under the fourth amendment. The fourth amendment promises that the people are protected against unlawful searches and seizures of their property and persons. When someone’s fourth amendment right is violated, any evidence they have unlawfully collected can be thrown out of court in a subsequent criminal trial.
Protect Your Rights
Every criminal case is unique, but many will have the following in common:
- One of the first steps your lawyer will take is to evaluate your case and determine all possible avenues in your defense. Knowing who to turn to and the questions to ask is critical. Consult an attorney with Albo & Oblon, LLP to protect your rights.
- If you’re not familiar with your legal rights under the Constitution, a law enforcement officer may take advantage of this and try to encourage you to provide them with more information than you need to.
- This could ultimately compromise your future and ability to have the charges reduced or dismissed.
- Knowing your rights ahead of time, particularly as it relates to search and seizure, can make a substantial difference in your case’s outcome.
- Even when you are familiar with what constitutes an illegal search and seizure, you still need a drug lawyer Fairfax VA trusts. The right lawyer can help you determine how law enforcement officers may have crossed the line and violated your rights.
Before you call a drug lawyer Fairfax VA is proud to have representing people accused of crimes, you should never assume that law enforcement automatically follows all the laws and rules when conducting a search or making an arrest. Accurately recalling the details of the search and seizure process and informing your drug lawyer in Fairfax VA may be of strategic value to your case. The right attorney can help you determine if your constitutional rights were violated and how to use that information as you move forward with your criminal defense case.
Criteria for a Lawful Search and Seizure
Some of the most common signs of an illegal search and seizure are not always easy to identify. Under the Fourth Amendment, you are protected from any invasive searches carried out by law enforcement officers. The difference between an officer carrying out protocol and a violation of your rights can be extremely subtle, so it’s important to have a Fairfax drug lawyer you can turn to for help during this overwhelming time.
Some of the critical points to consider when determining if law enforcement performed an illegal search and seizure include:
- Did the police have reasonable suspicion to search your vehicle after a traffic stop?
- Was any other property searched for which they did not have a warrant or reasonable cause to search?
Contact a Criminal Attorney Immediately After an Arrest
A drug lawyer Fairfax VA residents can count on after being accused of a crime should be your first phone call after being arrested. A lawyer should review all the aspects of your arrest with you to determine if an illegal search and seizure, among other things, happened. Procedural errors could be key to getting your case dismissed with the help of a drug lawyer Fairfax VA community members are proud to have representing their interests when law officers cross the line.
Criminal Defense Help from Albo & Oblon, LLP
If you have been charged with a drug crime, don’t wait to get help from an experienced drug lawyer Fairfax VA has come to trust.