DUI Defense Attorney Fairfax VA
If you were recently charged with a DUI, it’s important to have a DUI defense attorney in Fairfax VA on your side. A DUI is a serious offense that can negatively affect your life for a long time. An experienced lawyer can help you build a strong defense and protect your legal rights.
Common Defenses for DUI Charges
If you’re accused of driving under the influence of alcohol, you may be worried about your future. While this charge can certainly be scary, all hope is not lost. It’s possible to have a strong defense against this type of charge. Here are some common defenses for DUI charges.
- A police officer didn’t have a good reason to stop you. Police officers are only permitted to pull over drivers if they have good reason to believe they violated a traffic law or other law. If the arresting officer didn’t have a viable reason to stop you, your DUI charge could get dismissed.
- The blood alcohol sample didn’t get tested properly. If a police officer has suspicion that you have been drinking behind the wheel, he or she can have you submit a blood alcohol sample. However, proper protocol has to be followed when testing this sample. If the police officer, for example, waits too long to submit the sample for testing, your charge could get thrown out.
- You have a medical condition. Certain medical conditions might make you appear drunk when you really aren’t. For example, neurological conditions can cause you to develop slurred speech. If you can prove that you have a medical condition that made you appear drunk, you may be able to get your charge dismissed.
- The police violated your rights. Even after you’re arrested for a DUI, you have certain rights. For example, you don’t have to keep answering the police officer’s questions and have the right to speak to a DUI defense attorney in Fairfax VA. If the police violate these rights, it might be enough to get your case thrown out.
- The field sobriety test wasn’t accurate. Many police officers use field sobriety tests to determine if drivers are drunk or not. However, these tests can be quite inaccurate. For instance, if the pavement was uneven or you were wearing improper footwear, the results might not be accurate.
If you’re dealing with a DUI charge, you should schedule a consultation with a DUI defense attorney in Fairfax VA.