Petty Offense Lawyer Fairfax, VA
If you were charged with a petty offense, you should consult a petty offense lawyer in Fairfax, VA. A lawyer can provide you with valuable legal advice and guide you in the right direction.
Definition of Petty Offense
Petty offenses are offenses that are only punishable by fines, not jail time. This means that you don’t have the right to a jury trial or court appointed lawyer. However, if you wish to hire your own lawyer, you’re allowed to do so.
A speeding ticket is an example of a petty offense. If you’re found guilty of speeding, you may receive a fine and points on your driving record.
Benefits of Hiring a Petty Offense Lawyer
Although you’re not required to hire a lawyer for your petty offense, it is in your best interest to do so. Here are some benefits of hiring a petty offense lawyer:
- Negotiate a lower fine. Fines for petty offenses, like speeding tickets, can get pretty expensive. An experienced lawyer may be able to negotiate a lower fine if you don’t have previous offenses on your record.
- Find evidence. If you intend to contest your petty offense in court, you will have to provide sufficient evidence to the court. A skilled lawyer can help you gather the evidence you need.
- Save money. At first, it might not seem like hiring a petty offense lawyer in Fairfax, VA would help you save money. After all, lawyers aren’t cheap. However, if this lawyer can help you avoid paying a hefty fine, you might end up saving more money in the long run.
- Knowledge of the law. Unless you have a legal background, you likely don’t know all the laws surrounding your petty offense. Laws are constantly changing, so it can be difficult to keep up. An experienced petty offense lawyer, on the other hand, will be up-to-date on all the current laws.
Questions to Ask a Petty Offense Lawyer
Before you hire a petty offense lawyer, you should ask the right questions to determine if he or she is the right fit. Here are a few questions you should ask:
- How many years of experience do you have with petty offenses?
- What are your fees?
- What is your preferred method of communication?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses in my case?
Schedule a consultation with a petty offense lawyer in Fairfax, VA today.