Reckless Endangerment Lawyer – Fairfax, VA
Those who have been accused of a reckless driving infraction after being in an accident, may feel overwhelmed and unsure what to do next. The first step towards protecting yourself from a conviction is to seek assistance from a reputable Fairfax, Virginia reckless endangerment lawyer. The aftermath of a serious car accident can be terrifying. There may be wreckage, injury, and trauma. Please know that you do not have to navigate the criminal or civil challenges of this period in time alone. Dave Albo – Attorney is experienced, dedicated and here to help.
At the Wrong Place, at the Wrong Time
There are times when even the most conscientious of drivers can be accused of committing a serious driving-related offense. Perhaps you were at the wrong place, at the wrong time. Or, maybe you weren’t perfect in the situation but don’t deserve to reap the very worst of the potential punishments associated with the charges against you. Regardless of where you “fall” on this scale, seeking legal representation from an experienced Fairfax, VA reckless endangerment lawyer for such a complex event such as a reckless driving arrest and vehicle collision is crucial. Even the completely innocent cannot usually navigate the criminal justice system successfully without professional legal guidance.
Penalties for Reckless Driving Conviction
If you get convicted of a reckless driving offense, you may face several penalties that can take away your freedom, time, and finances. For instance, a driver accused of reckless driving may have to pay heavy fines, in addition to restitution to the car accident victim. On top of that, the accused may have to deal with court fees and other financial loss. In addition to this, a person convicted may have to endure the following:
- Incarceration anywhere from days to more than a year in jail (depending on the factors of the accident and how much damage was done to property the other people)
- Requirement to fulfill community service hours or contribute to public service
- Points added to driving record
- Suspended license
Possible Defense Strategies
It can be scary to be arrested and face a criminal charge. However, an experienced Fairfax, VA reckless endangerment lawyer may be able to use a host of strong defense strategies to your advantage:
- Argue that you were partaking in careless driving, but that it didn’t cross the line into reckless. Reckless means you were being willful and intentional in your driving behavior, and that you knew it may harm others.
- Your attorney can defend you by saying you were following the rules of the road aside from the one offense, such as wearing a seatbelt, signaling to change lanes, etc.
- To state that you were not the one driving the vehicle. The evidence weighs on the prosecution, so they have to come forward with evidence showing it was you, otherwise the case could be dismissed.
- The measuring tool for speed the officer had used was malfunctioning or poorly maintained, causing an inaccurate reading. If the equipment for gauging speed isn’t calibrated correctly, the MPH result may be way off.
No two cases are exactly alike. Please consider calling an experienced Fairfax, VA reckless endangerment lawyer immediately in order to better understand how the circumstances of your situation may affect your case.